Hooks from branches


Our brooms and brushes have spent the last 3 years propped against the wall in a passage way that leads to the garage that we also use as a pantry. It gets cluttered quickly, and dustpans and brushes on the floor just add to the lack of space. I decided they needed to be hung up, Shaker-style, but didn't really want to buy hooks.




I cut some branches from the overgrown hedge at the bottom of our garden and chose pieces that would make good hooks. My craftsmanship is not up to much, but luckily most of the sawn parts are firmly against the wall. Some pieces I cut to have a flat face, others I didn't, I just trimmed any sticking-out twigs off. With technical support with the drill from my husband (I don't drill very straight holes!), I made holes in the top of all the brushes and threaded jute string through, drilled and counter-sunk (new skill!) the holes in the branches and screwed them to the wall. They do the job, cost nothing and I think they look pretty cool.
I might trim some of the hooks as I think they may be more convenient a bit shorter, but we'll see.

The holes in the brush handle on the right are teeth marks from a young Mabel...

 I've put my favourite hook in the kitchen to hang the pizza peel we use for Friday pizzas as that also collected dust on the floor in the corner.


Comments

  1. Oooh, I love these! So simple and functional and beautiful. I visited a handmade cabin on the weekend that had very similar hooks for curtain rods (also made out of branches) and also handles for cupboards. I love that very rustic style of decoration. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've been up a few weeks now and I still love them- they're working really well.
    I put a photo of them on a facebook group I'm in and somebody said they had hazel rods for curtain poles which is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts