Independence Days

Independence Days, inspired by Sharon Astyk. 
The aim is to always preserve a little, grow a little and support community food systems that will develop into resilient food supply chains, evermore important as we hurtle towards political uncertainty by way of a shifting climate. The UK had it's warmest February day ever this year. I'll admit to enjoying the sunshine but it doesn't help poor confused insects and plants.

Plant:  Chilli, pepper and aubergine seeds are growing well. I've also started some sweet peas. You can't eat them but growing my own cut flowers will save money (not that I buy flowers very often) and will mean I can make bunches of flowers for friends- birthdays, hostess gifts etc- which I used to do from my old garden. And they smell nice and they'll attract pollinators.
I have some slips to add to one of our boundary hedges- dog rose and rosa rugosa for petals and hips and a hazel nut which will benefit us and wild life and a couple of others including a buckthorn for the caterpillars of the Brimstone butterfly. I've ordered some sea buckthorn for the hedge at the bottom too, which I'm hoping will be happy. I'm a bit worried it will be too wet for it, but I've just ordered a couple and we'll see how they go. Sea buckthorn berries are high in vitamin C and tasty if rather sharp. I have very fond memories of sea buckthorn ice cream from a little shop in Wales a few years ago. And I can pretend I'm just like the marvellous Ray Mears when I collect it.


Harvest: Lots more chicken eggs now and the ducks are starting to lay too. Foraging a bit  (nettles and cleavers to infuse in water or feed to the chickens mostly) because there's still only chard, rocket and herbs in the garden. Timperley Early Rhubarb isn't too far off though.

Preserve: Still haven't made the marmalade but need to this month. Maybe this weekend.

Waste Not:  I set the wormery up again so that as much of the waste we produce stays in the garden as fertility. Food waste can go in a brown bin to be made into compost by the council but it goes to local farms, I'll never see it again. Good environmentally, bad for my garden. I keep decluttering and have taken lots of bags to local charity shops and passed some things on via Facebook and Freegle.

Want Not:  We trimmed the field maple hedge between us and one of our neighbours and are sharing the wood. Slowly processing it into logs to season to burn in a year or two. Additionally we both get more light in the garden. A neighbour gave me a bag full of herb teas she didn't want anymore. I've kept some and taken the rest into work for people to drink.

Eat the Food: The salsa I canned/bottled last autumn has been brilliant- will definitely do more this year, tomato harvest permitting. I do have a bit more stored food than usual as I expect delays to imported food, at least initially, if we crash out of the European Union this month. Trying to make sure I rotate things and use up before they expire.

Build Food Systems: We've been alternating buying meat from local farms/butchers and also trying to use a local greengrocer and farm shop. They're not necessarily more expensive than the supermarkets and it stops certain family members accidentally buying doughnuts when they went in for cabbage.

Skill Up: I need to get my sewing machine mended so I can improve my sewing skills. They're pretty basic but I could definitely use the machine more for repairing clothes and making gifts. I also like using it to applique fabric onto greetings cards.

How have you done? Do share either in the comments or link to your blog.

Comments

  1. Independence! Yes! Something I aspire for. I Hope to have a successful garden this year, and plan to learn some skills that will help on the path to more self reliance. This week a fixed a leaky sink, and walked around like I had discovered the cure to cancer! I continue to prepare ground for planting, and hope to learn canning this year.
    Have a good week end, Hazel!
    Patricia Fl/USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on the sink- you should feel pleased with yourself :-)) It's things like that that we (especially as women) are told we need somebody else to do for us.
    Good luck with your planting, what are you planning to grow? Have a good weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to grow tomatoes, and a variety of peppers. Would like to do squash, and watermelons too. Any suggestions?
      Patricia

      Delete
    2. I'd love to be able to grow watermelons but they're a bit hit and miss here, even under glass. We eat lots of tomatoes so I do try to grow plenty of them but blight can be an issue here. Just need to keep fingers crossed.
      I like Crown Prince and potimarron squashes and have a few new ones to try this year including a variety of butternut squash and a delicata. Not sure how they grow in your region?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts