A simple deodorant for sensitive skin

I like making things just because I always have. I always thought it was fun to make things that you're supposed to buy ready made: food, toiletries, products. Given my perfect job would be as a historical re-enactor maybe I'm a frustrated Tudor.

Some things I make all the time, some things I make when I feel like it or have the time. One thing I always make is deodorant. The ingredients in commercial antiperspirants make me nervous (surely stopping a natural bodily process isn't a good idea?), they nearly all come in propellant-driven aerosols or plastic and the 'natural' alternatives I find ineffective or expensive.

I've tried various homemade versions over the years and lots had drawbacks- messy, smelly (vinegar, which my husband can't bear the smell of which makes it inconvenient to apply!) or they just didn't work. I found the best ones for me contained bicarbonate of soda but sadly after a couple of days use they really irritated my armpits, proof that 'natural' doesn't necessarily mean 'gentle'.

I've made various recipes and have fiddled and combined to come up with this which I've been using for the last 9-12 months. I'm probably reinventing the wheel and it's not very different to other recipes but I'm happy with it.

Easy non-irritant deodorant

The base is coconut oil, anti-bacterial and solid at coolish room temperature. This is the only part I'd ideally like to find a substitute for as it's hardly native to the UK, but one step at a time. It comes in glass jars.
I add white kaolin, absorbent and cleansing. Any clay would work, but white kaolin stops it from looking sludgy.
Arrowroot is also absorbent, increasing the deodorant's ability to absorb sweat without being antiperspirant.
Bicarbonate of soda (sodium bicarbonate/baking soda) for me is the crucial odour preventing ingredient.
My dry ingredients all come in plastic, but as I buy them in bulk (I decant the bicarb from a big tub) it's less than buying a deodorant stick each time. I also use all of the powders for other things too, not just deodorant.

Essential oils can also be anti-bacterial but just use ones that you like the fragrance of, making sure they're safe for (diluted) skin application. I'd avoid the citrus oils if you'll be exposing your armpits to the sun as they can increase photo-sensitivity. Last time I went full-on hippy and used patchouli. This time I'm channelling Spring and added 5 drops of lavender, 3 of chamomile and 2 of geranium. Don't be tempted to increase the amount of essential oils too much as they can irritate.

I haven't added beeswax but if you live in a warmer climate you may want to add a small amount to prevent the deodorant liquefying and separating. It would also make it solid enough to pour into a deodorant stick if you'd rather use that than a jar, but I'm happy scooping it out with my fingers.
My measurements aren't precise, this recipe doesn't depend on exact weights to work, so feel free to adjust if you prefer the product creamier, harder or to increase the bicarb if your skin can tolerate it.



Simple, non-irritant deodorant

5 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp white kaolin
2 tbsp arrowroot
2 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
10 drops skin-safe essential oils

Combine first 4 ingredients in a pan and melt over a low heat, stirring to combine. Remove from heat when melted and stir in 10 drops of essential oils. Pour into a clean glass jar, and done!

Coconut oil, white kaolin, arrowroot and bicarbonate of soda ready to melt.

Comments

Popular Posts