Drawing Salve

Drawing Salve

Spring-like weather means I'm in the garden when at all possible. It is quite likely I'm partly solar powered as I instantly feel less grumpy, if slightly overwhelmed by the scale what I want to do. My part of Facebook (which my children find amusing- no celebrities, mostly plants and the odd photo of a lamb warming up in the bottom oven of an Aga) has notes of doom for those who plant their seeds during a false February Spring every third post so I restricted myself to clearing and tidying a bit (my garden is never too tidy so plenty of cover for overwintering insects still).



As a side note, on the same day that North Americans celebrate Groundhog Day, there is a legend that the Cailleach, the divine hag in Celtic mythology, collects her firewood for the rest of the winter. If the day is fine, she can collect enough firewood for another 6 weeks of winter (and old Punxsutawney Phil can see his shadow). If the weather is poor, she stays inside and so the winter will be short. This year it was dry and bright but there was snow on the ground. What does that mean?!

Anyway, despite trying hard to remember to wear gardening gloves I still seem to get splinters in my hands (and feet when it's warm) and sometimes they're too far in to remove easily.

At the end of last summer I made a drawing paste, or salve, based on a few different recipes (largely because of what I had in the house). I wanted to have something ready to use, not to have to concoct something fresh every time. It may also help cure verrucas and warts apparently but I haven't tried that.
I would also note that it's not a version of Black Salve, something I'd never heard of until I was looking for a recipe for Amish black drawing salve, but it has fairly amazing claims made for it. I'm not going to link to it as it has some gruesome pictures of the damage it does and you might be eating your breakfast.

I've used some of my salve and think it does help a bit. I'll admit to liking the name- using salves and ointments does make me feel as though I could be in Little Women.
I gave a couple of samples to friends with younger children who reported that at the very least it has a placebo effect because of it's colour! It doesn't stain skin but it may stain clothing or bedding. I will continue to review it this spring.
The slippery elm should help keep the skin soft while the splinter works it's way out.


Drawing Salve

1/8 cup coconut oil
1/8 cup almond oil (even better, use an infused oil like calendula and/or plantain)
1/4 cup slippery elm powder (there are issues with sustainably harvesting this. I use it sparingly)
20 capsules activated charcoal (emptied, compost the shells)
3 tsp bentonite clay
approx 2 tsp bees wax (I used a lump that still had some honey on)

Melt ingredients together gently, stir well and scrape into a clean jar. Label.

Apply to affected area and cover. Reapply as necessary.



Comments

Popular Posts