Oak before Ash...


Oak before ash, we're in for a splash
Ash before oak, we're in for a soak


Same road, same day. Not an infallible guide to the weather over the summer but probably as accurate as any long term forecast. As an island the UK's weather is very hard to predict as it changes so quickly. Raining before breakfast? That's ok, it'll probably have stopped before lunch ('rain before seven, fine before eleven' was a favourite weather saying of my Granny's).
So, we'll see but given that it's been a pretty dry winter and spring and my water butts are already empty lets hope it's a bit more than a splash. Maybe some nice steady rain, preferably overnight every so often...


It's been an unseasonably warm Easter, even for one so late. We went for a walk with some friends on Good Friday morning and the dogs were glad to find this river


and Easter Sunday we cooked dinner over the fire.


Laotian-inspired spatchcocked chicken and aubergine with fried halloumi plus rice and a red cabbage slaw.
I've just finished reading Ant Egg Soup, a travelogue about Laos with a strong emphasis on the food and I now want to cook and eat Laotian food and visit the country...

Image result for ant egg soup book

All the warm weather has meant that the asparagus I planted at the beginning of April is sprouting already. I can't do anything other than marvel at it this year as it puts it's strength into it's root system, but it just amazes me that it really looks like asparagus! It's magic.




Happy growing!







Comments

  1. I picked spinach, and my first tomato yesterday! Yes, it is a marvel to see things grow! so good for the soul!
    Cheers,
    Patricia/USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First tomato?! This is when I wish for the climate of Florida- my first tomatoes are months away...

      Delete
  2. Hazel!! How did I miss that you have a blog?! I love your Easter menu and I am eager to read all your posts, but have to get my kiddies out the door to school at the moment. I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margot, glad you found me! Hope you enjoy it :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts